Saturday, June 13, 2009

Grilled Pizza - Yummmmmmm

1 tsp rapid-rise yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Cups of water
2 TBSP olive oil
3 Cups of all purpose flour (plus more as needed)

In a large bowl combine the yeast, salt, water and olive oil - stir. After the yeast begins to dissolve and begins to foam, pour mixture into dough. I used the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid but I am sure kneading by hand will work fine. Knead until the dough is smooth. If the dough is too sticky add flour until the dough becomes a smooth round ball (if you are using a stand mixer, add the flour until the dough no longer sticks to the mixing bowl. Cover with a damp cloth (away from drafts) and allow to rise for approx 1.5 to 2 hours or when it has doubled in size.

At this point I usually split one batch of dough into 4 smaller balls. I roll out the dough - shape is not too important to me as I think it gives it a more artisan look. I brush both sides with olive oil and hand it off to "the grill master" AKA my husband. You will place the dough directly onto the lower rack of your grill (no need to worry about it falling through, as it almost instantly cooks and turns into the crust). When you reach the desired crispness and color remove it from the grill. We usually grill up all of the 4 smaller pizzas and then go back to add the toppings. At this point you can put them back on the grill rack or we like to put ours on a cookie sheet (although I will warn you the heat probably WILL ruin the bottom of your sheet. We keep one specifically for this) Once the topping and cheese has melted to your liking remove and eat. This is one of my favorite ways to use our grill all year round!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment