Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Super Easy Cream Cheese Brownies and the tale of brownie bribery....
If we all take a moment of silence you will hear the faint sound of a woman crying, probably all balled up in a corner of her home in a small town in Pennsylvania. That folks would be my mother in law and she would be sulking due to the fact that she knows that I made these brownies all the way on the other side of the United States and she can't eat a one of them (we moved away in January, so I’m sure she has suffered from 6 months of brownie withdraw)! You see these are my mother in laws FAVORITE brownies - like EVER!!!! They are so much her favorite in fact that she once used them to bribe me in order for her to watch my very cranky, needy, hyper, going through the terrible two's toddler while I went into the hospital to have my son (okay so I am a bit dramatic - I know in my heart she would have watched her without me making them), but I knew that there would be some incident of pooping in the bathtub that would send her over the edge unless there was something to keep her in the house - hence the brownies. I quickly learned that these brownies much like superheroes have some sort of power to make grown adults weak in the knees, so of course I did what all good bakers do and decided to use it to my full advantage. I came up with the genius idea that baking a HUGE pan of brownies for the nurses would give me the edge over the "other" patients when it came to midnight snacks and extra visitors during my hospital stay. Oh, who am I kidding I wanted to make sure I was first in line to get my epidural well ahead of all others! :). So with one pan of brownies on the kitchen counter and one pan of brownies in hand, Will and I ventured off to the hospital, and much like I expected the nurses went gaga over them. If I remember correctly the pan of brownies were gone long before the first signs of hard labor pains began. The nurses loved me for them and so did my mother in law!
Lesson of the day folks, the best bribery =baking brownies, and not just any brownies, THESE brownies! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do, and Sandy I promise I will have a pan full of these waiting at the airport with Will. Just know in advance there will be diapers to change, a sink full of dishes to wash and ten loads of laundry when you get here. Oh and did I mention there will be brownies? :)
Super Easy Cream Cheese Brownies:
1 Package of Betty Crocker Original Supreme brownie mix
1/3 Cup Water
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 or 3 Eggs
Cream Cheese Mixture:
1 package of cream cheese softened – 8 oz
1/3 Cup of sugar
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 Cup of Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
* Heat oven to 350.
* Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan.
* Stir brownie mix, chocolate syrup (included in the package), water, oil and 2 eggs for fudge like brownies or 3 eggs for cake like (I used 2 eggs).
*Mix until well blended and spread into pan.
* Beat cream cheese in medium bowl or mixer until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar, vanilla and one egg until well blended.
* Pour (or spoon and spread) cream cheese mixture over brownie batter in pan. Cut through mixture with a knife several times (I go zig zag up and down the pan and from side to side as well until you reach a marble affect).
* Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
* Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until cream cheese mixture begins to brown and toothpick inserted in brownie2 inches from the side of the pan comes out clean or almost clean. Cool completely. Store covered and in refrigerator if desired.
If you like these, don't forget to vote for these on Foodie Views of the Day!!!!